Monday 2 April 2012

A quote from Caitlin Moran's "How to be a Woman"

Creative Commons License
Stuff and Nonsense by Amy Cockram is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.

I wanted to quote an extract from this, because I am discovering that I really love this book.  It might even be a five star on Goodreads - and I am quite conservative with my stars, so I think it would be my first.

Please don't think of the previous paragraph as a spoiler for my review in a couple of days time.  I prefer to think my "How to be a Woman" review as the blog equivalent of an episode of "Columbo:" you already know who did it - or you already know I like it - but you still go along with it to see how Columbo (that's me, in this rather suspect metaphor) gets there.

Over the next couple of days while I am reading the book, before I write my review, I might post a quote that I've loved each day.  The bit I thought I would post today is the longest I wanted to quote...
What I AM going to urge you to do, however, is say "I am a feminist".  For preference, I would like you to stand on a chair, and shout "I AM A FEMINIST" - but this is simply because I believe that everything is more exciting if you stand on a chair to do it.

It really is important you say these words out loud.  "I AM A FEMINIST."  If you feel you cannot say it - not even standing on the ground - I would be alarmed.  It's probably one of the most important things a woman will ever say: the equal of "I love you", "Is it a boy or a girl?" or "No! I've changed my mind! Do NOT cut me a fringe!"

Say it.  SAY IT!  SAY IT NOW! Because if you can't, you're basically bending over, saying, "Kick my arse and take my vote, please, the patriarchy."

And do not think that you shouldn't be standing on that chair, shouting "I AM A FEMINIST!" if you are a boy.  A male feminist is one of the most glorious end-products of evolution.  A male feminist should ABSOLUTELY be on the chair - so we ladies may all toast you, in champagne, before coveting your body wildly.  And maybe get you to change that light bulb, while you're up there.  We cannot do it ourselves.  There is a big spider's web on the fitting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment